Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Funeral: May 25, 1993

I didn't want to look, I stood against the wall. My legs trembled.

Jeremy was ahead of me. Uncle Dave held him under his arm. When Jeremy looked inside the casket, he started talking to Dad, lying there, pail, and weak. Dad was strong, fearless, I can't bare to see him in there, motionless, unable to help us, or ride me on his motorbike, or carry me on his shoulders.


Mom's still in the hospital, in ICU. I see her everyday. Nam swears Mom is going to wake up soon. She keeps sneaking plant medicine in, without the doctors suspecting.

Namma nudged me, but I wouldn't budge, not until she took my hand and lead me over to the casket.

Dad's face was drained of all life. I couldn't stand to see him like this, all padded up and wearing a fancy jacket. He always wore his leather jacket. Always. Why couldn't they leave his leather jacket on? Then I realized it was probably destroyed in the accident. I ran to Jeremy and hugged him, and we both cried together.

I'm glad Uncle Dave gave me this book to write in. I can scream everything in here too. I want my Dad back.  DAD!!! DAD!!   You can't leave us!



No comments:

Post a Comment

karenleespree@gmail.com